The OPEN PAGE is a blog written by teens in Mariposa County, located in the Western Sierra Mountains of Central California. Please include your full name and age with your submission.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

POETRY MONTH

April was Poetry Month at the Mariposa County Library.
This year, since we haven't yet recieved enough poems to make up a book, Poetry Month will be extended into May. There are still plenty of gift certificates left! Teenagers, please submit your poetry to the library in person or by email to katie.hertfelder@sjvls.org . Here are the excellent poems we have recieved so far:


MY REMINDER
by Derek Strock
Can you feel it
pulsating through your veins
Love - the purest form of life
meaningless words said
small looks spared
to find out in the end
you lost one of your closest friends
One action to another
You still want to wonder
If you couldn't have turned back
Would you have went forward
SOMEDAY
by Derek Strock
Here's to holding caskets of old friends
When the death of a new day ends
the sun will rise to all but your eyes
I wil be there someday
Laying six feet under souls can't be heard
standing atop such a shallow grave
Left inside such a deep place
the angels draw their swords
the demons pull knives
All at war for one soul
THE WORD LOVE
by Derek Strock
Love - what does this mean
so commonly used
yet so rare to find
a look of lust
when dawn turns to dust
The color of your eyes
mixed into the jet black sky
a couple of letters
a few dates
mixed with a passionate kiss
to walk on water
to walk on coals
to find your calling Love
I will fight even the heavens above
my body grows cold
my sight becomes dim
please lead me with your light
please take me in
GIVE
by Derek Strock
Give away your life
to better your heart
one final lament
our last chance
look up to a cloudy sky
Close your eyes
let out a forsaken prayer
A silent scream
all you hear is an echo
inside this hollow ground
the flood gates have opened
you feel your life pulse
with every beat of her heart
The center of our world
THE MEMORIES
by Amanda Adams
Memories flow
like the stream that flows into my hand.
They seem so recent,
but they are so far away.
They're almost like dreams
but really, they are reality.
They make my heart flutter
but at the same time,
my heart breaks along with my soul.
At the time, I loved these memories.
But now, I loathe them.
My soul screams at these images
when my heart longs for them.
They call out to me
as if they are a human being.
A part of me wants to re-live them,
but a damaged part wants them to disappear.
The reflections I see
in this stream that flows into my hand are only
my sweet dreams that are true.
They are only
the memories.
MY STRANGE CLIENT
by Rebecca Adams
I have a giant for a client.
His name is Bryant.
He likes ice with rice
and a slice of dice.
He is not an early bird
but he is a
mocking bird.
He has a pillow that is an
armadillo.
He has a pet
pirhanna. Her name is
Donna. He gets
stage fright when
watching Snow White.
He can also do a cartwheel
while eating oatmeal.
If you ask me, I will
agree he is a strange client
but what can I say. He is a giant.
EARTH
by Alex Bauer
The Earth is a beautiful non-disgraceful place
Every minute, every second, cannot be retraced
Sometimes it is not fair, it can be really bitter
Just remember one thing......do not LITTER!
To be chosen to live here is a very special thing.
So grab some wings to fly along while you listen to the
birds sing.
It's not all about nature; it's about the people too.
We respect them, we protect them, and help them make it
through.
This big ball spinning round and round is filled with love
and care. Sometimes it has its ups and downs, but we
should never despair.

 
Free HTML Hit Counters