The OPEN PAGE is a blog written by teens in Mariposa County, located in the Western Sierra Mountains of Central California. Please include your full name and age with your submission.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Golden Years by d. chaney

For Grandpa Bill & Grandmas Bertha & Theresa

I’ve grown old, my eyes are dim
My hair has turned to gray
I may not hear distinctly
Sometimes I lose my way.
Time keeps on its forward march
My body loses strength
All the days ordained for me
Have drawn upon their length.

Yet what you see before you
Is just the outside shell
Beneath the wearing substance
there’s much that I could tell.
For I remember details
The child I used to be
And there are wondrous stories
In my mind’s eye I see.

Though my body’s lost its youth
My heart is as before
And all the things you dream of
are in my hopes still more.
I yearn to stay productive
Contribute to the end
I haven’t lost my need for love
Nor gentle hands to mend.

And there are words of wisdom
Because of all the years
I see the path before you
would spare you many tears.
Please look beneath the wrinkles
The crippled hands and feet
For I have much to offer
Each time we’re blessed to meet.

 
Free HTML Hit Counters